This is much easier said than done, especially in places where the seasons actually change, but even where they don’t you’ll still want to look seasonally appropriate and chic. At SWAK, we’re all about giving you the most for your money and helping you get your wardrobe to work for you.
Here are a few tips for getting the most out of your summer wares and transitioning into a more seasonal look for fall.
- COLOR COMBO: Embrace fall hues and start incorporating them into your wardrobe. Pair a short summer dress with black leggings or skinny jeans for extra warmth. Oxblood is back this season and so are rich purples, greens and carmels. Don’t be afraid of brights either during fall. The days of muted palettes and all darks for fall are over. Keep the plus size colored pants & denim skirts in full rotation. Be discerning when deciding which pieces are going to stick around. Obviously summery prints or fabrics like linen should be stored away. Decide what’s going to transition best---not all florals will work for fall, but don't rule them all out. Solid maxis, skinnies and tunics should be kept on hand.
- ACCESSORIZE: Fall is perfect for hats and scarves. Keep your eyes peeled for something that will spice up your look and pair with anything. Tights can also keep your look warm and stylish. Prints are in and so are bright hues. Find some that can double as shapewear and dare to wear them under shorts or a summer dress. Mix and match prints and patterns and get playful with these small touches of style.
- SHOES in CONTROL: Break out the boots and embrace the crisp air. Your toes may be begging to stay front and center, but it’s time to grab your flats, stilettos, boots, pumps and more. Shoes can button up any outfit and are a cornerstone to being well dressed. Having seasonally appropriate footwear adds a level of sophistication and polish to any outfit, even if it is just a simple pair of ballet flats. Extra tip: consider what socks you’ll be wearing when shoe shopping.
- OUTERWEAR with ANYTHING: Having a fab jacket is a fall must-have. Look for something that is versatile. This jacket will come in handy for buttoning up an outfit and also keeping warm when temperatures drop. A neutral color is ideal for this purchase, and most likely it will be an investment, but it is a worthwhile one! You also want to make sure you have an arsenal of cardigans at your disposal for extra coverage and also added style. The Eternity Convertible Cardigan is a wonderful option. This cardigan is a casual piece that can be dressed up or down and worn in different wrap styles. Play with textures as you shop too. Sexy faux leather insets like on our Alyssa Cardigan add lovely details to an otherwise simple silhouette. Textures like tweed added onto a simple cotton tee or dress can add style & a create luxe look.
- WORK the MAXI: You’ve probably got one or two plus size maxi skirts or dresses in your closet from the summer and the time to rock them again is NOW. Pair a maxi skirt with combat boots for an edgy look that’s perfect for fall. Maxi dresses can be worn with layered pieces too. Add a crisp white shirt underneath a sleeveless maxi for a little attitude. Don a bright cardigan for coverage & a pop of color. Over a certain style? Take any pieces that are in good condition to your local seamstress and see if she can transform them for fall. Maybe something you were about to get rid of has more wears in it with a few minor adjustments!
- TOTALLY TUNIC: Our Emmylou Tunic and other plus size tunics have been all the rage this summer. Layered over skinnies or leggings, these stylish tops are ideal for fall. Add a scarf or vest for warmth and stretch your summer style through the end of the year.
- FIGURE FLATTER: Figure out what you have in your closet and what you need. Clothes piling or too small? Let it go and make room for some fall essentials you’re going to acquire. When planning ahead, it’s important to grasp what key pieces you own, how they’ll work with other garments you have and what will bring them together. Have a superb skirt but need a blouse to go with it? Make note and prioritize this purchase.
- BEAUTY BABE: Work a darker lip and take your summer bronzer a little more brown for a sexy autumnal look. Fall eye shadows and nail colors can make the transition between seasons simpler. If you’re looking for a crisp color opt for a gun metal gray or a deep red. If you love metallic, black and gold are a popular color-combo this season. You may have noticed an opposites game with many celebs debuting lighter locks on the recent red carpets. Changing up your hair color can help ease your transition as well. The rules have been thrown out the window… if you’re light, go dark and vice versa. See our Pinterest for lots of beauty inspiration.
- FALL DENIM: Make sure your closet’s stocked with denim for fall. If you’ve been wearing lighter hues all summer, go with a darker look like our plus size skinny jeans in black. Denim is more in style than ever before and isn’t going anywhere.
We hope these tips have helped! Want more? Watch our latest plus size YouTube video!!! Have some of your own? Tweet them to us @swakdesigns or leave in the comments below! Shop some of our favorite pieces here.